Tuesday, April 2, 2019

#MustReadin2019 Spring Update


Hello, Readers! 📚

This is just a quick progress update on my #MustReadin2019 list. 

As I've said before, there is so much stress in committing to a list and then realizing how many awesome titles were overlooked. So this year I've decided to also include books that I absolutely ADORED, but were not in my original post. 

I have not always been one of those people who could read more than one book at a time, but usually now I find myself with a "school" book and a "home" book, with professional titles sprinkled in. I'm going to write a bit after finishing each one, mainly so I don't freak out when it's time to post the updates! 😊
Finished reading January 16, 2019
Sweep: The Story of a Girl and Her Monster by Jonathan Auxier is now one of my absolute favorites!!! Sweep is the story of Nan, a 12 year old girl in Victorian London. Left behind on a rooftop nearly five years ago, Nan has been working with other chimney sweeps in deplorable conditions. After a near tragedy, a little ball of char that Nan keeps in her pocket comes to life, and then continues to grow. This incredibly moving and beautiful story reminds us, "We save ourselves by saving others." It also forces us to ask ourselves who the REAL monsters are. 
Finished reading January 19, 2019
Where, oh where, was Pride by Ibi Zoboi when I was younger??? 💘 As someone who fake-read Pride and Prejudice in high school, but for-real read it later as an adult, I can say that this remix is so much more accessible to young readers for myriad reasons. First line: "It's a truth universally acknowledged that when rich people move into the hood, where it's a little bit broken and a little bit forgotten, the first thing they want to do is clean it up." The story follows Zuri Benitez and her family as the wealthy Darcy family moves in to the recently renovated "mini-mansion" across the street. Zuri takes an immediate dislike to hot, but standoffish Darius Darcy. And he appears to have zero interest in Zuri or her sisters. But as they spend more time together, they start to second-guess their original impressions of each other. 

Finished reading February 1, 2019
The wonderful line from John Green, "Frankly, I'd read your grocery lists," is the perfect summation of my love for Nic Stone's writing. Because I had read Dear Martin, I was confident that Odd One Out would be a winner, and I was not disappointed! Courtney Cooper, Jupiter Sanchez and Rae Chin each narrate a part of the story. "Coop" and "Jupes" have been best friends forever, but Coop is struggling with the fact that he wants them to be more than friends. The problem? Jupiter likes girls. When Rae Chin moves to town, it seems like the three of them make the "perfect couple"! I loved the main characters, the closeness of their families, and Coop's teammates are hilarious! This is a book that everyone needs to read. Well done, Nic! 💓

Finished reading February 6, 2019
When I finished reading Watch Us Rise by Renee Watson and Ellen Hagan, I told everyone who would listen, "I've added this book to my 'Required Reading For All of Humanity List.'" This is a story of a group of high school friends on a mission: "...we want to use our art to disrupt society and push against what's happening in the world." 
Here are just a few of my favorite things: 
1) The challenge from Jasmine's dad-"Get out, go see the places that present poetry, visual art, and theater made by people of color." 
2) All students in this school are required to join a social justice club.💖
3) "The only way to change things is from the inside out."
4) "Don't let idiots change your perception of you."

Many thanks to Bloomsbury Kids for sending me an ARC of this amazing title!

Finished reading February 13, 2019
I have never read a Dan Gemeinhart book that I didn't like. The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise is a new favorite! Coyote and her dad, Rodeo, live in an old yellow school bus named Yager. They travel wherever they feel led, and when people can use a bit of help, they are invited along...after answering three questions:
1) What is your favorite book?*
2) What is your favorite place on planet Earth?
3) What is your favorite sandwich?

*Coyote believes, "There's nothing like a good book for bringing folks together." (Be still, my book-nerd heart!)

I found room in my heart for all of the characters, and was rooting for each and every one of them. 

I wrote this in my reading journal: "At the end of the day, if you give them half a chance, people want to help other people. Most of 'em, anyway. They do" (308). 
I NEED TO BELIEVE THIS!!!

My takeaway quote: "Always kindness." 

Finished reading March 17, 2019
First line: "I might have to kill somebody tonight." That alone probably makes you want to read On The Come Up by Angie Thomas, am I right? I'm not going to pretend that I know ANYTHING about hip-hop, but I adored this book. Though from the same neighborhood as Starr (The Hate U Give), Bri is a completely different (equally strong) character. This book covers so many different issues...drug addiction, poverty, family, micro-aggressions, and people's perceptions. My personal favorite quotes were Bri's comments on "church people", which I wrote down to read again and again. Angie Thomas develops some rich, amazing characters and I continue to be enthralled by her writing. 
And did y'all see that this one's going to be a movie, too???






4 comments:

  1. Loved reading your summaries! Now off to add to my TBR list! Thank you. Again love seeing the love for Sweep here. Such a beautiful book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still need to get to Pride and On the Come Up from what you've finished, thus far. I'm on the wait list for On the Come Up and should be down to position #1, now. So fingers-crossed I'll have it in my hands SOON! :) I adored Nic Stone's Dear Martin and she also wrote a short story in Snow in Love (edited by Melissa de la Cruz) that was fantastic. Thanks for sharing, Jennifer, and I'll look forward to your next update!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I'm getting the feeling that I need to add Sweep to my books to read because I have seen it on so many lists thus far! What have I been waiting for?! From your list I read Pride by Ibi Zoboi. I listened to the audio book and loved that it was read by Elizabeth Acevedo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You have read some fabulous books. I've got Watch Us Rise checked out of the library, but what with writing a poem a day, don't seem to have enough time to keep on top of my reading. I'm so happy that Sweep is continuing to get so much book love.

    ReplyDelete

#MustReadin2020 Fall Update

#MustReadin2020 Hello, fellow book lovers! 📚💗 While I know that some people found reading extremely difficult during the pandemic, ...